Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Hoops vs. Hip-Hop.


First to be clear, I'm a Lakers fan, and a Kobe Bryant fan, but I'm also a fan of hip-hop. So whenever, a rapper calls somebody out, or there's a dope freestyle, or battle, I'm all for it.

However, we have Shaquille O'Neal, who was one of the best basketball players, but one of the worst to touch the mic ...and yes, it was funny, but let's take a look at this for a second.

Shaq-Fu is dissing Kobe for not winning the Finals without him, ratting him out and "causing" hin to get a divorce. Now, I'm not debating where The Diesel is coming from, but in hip-hop, you don't make peace with someone, and turn around FOUR YEARS LATER, and dis them. To make matters worse, you don't recant the next day saying "I was freestyling. That's all. It was all done in fun. Nothing serious whatsoever. I'm totally cool with Kobe."

You can't disrespect someone on the mic, and the next day be like "Psyche, I was playing", you don't hear 50 Cent, or Lil Wayne, backpedal like that. Now don't get me wrong, these guys aren't MC's on the street, but there are still principles of hip-hop and for those indiscretions, you would get clowned on principle alone.

Besides, if I'm waiting 4 years, to take a shot at someone, I'm coming up with something better than "Smell My A#*, B^tch", and while it's highly unlikely, I would love to hear K.O.B.E. respond on a track.

...not even touching how Shaq said he was better than Kareem.

No comments: