Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Did I set the internets aflame?

So last Friday I posted this, granted I discovered the video on Dime, but I'm wondering if I put the ball in play with this hoops and homosexuality dialogue that's been going on over the past few days.

Arguably my favourite basketball site, Slam, ran a news piece about out-of-the-closet and former NBA player John Amaechi. Amaechi is in Beijing covering Olympic basketball for the BBC, and ran into members of the USA Basketball team to an apparent "cold" reception. Marcel Mutoni's bad taste joke withstanding, the story sparked a lot of dialogue, and over 200 comments showing how enlightening, although more so how ignorant hoops fans can get.

Today, I log on to Dime, only to see Olympic swimming god Michael Phelps' cover of SI, and the headline was "Someone has to ask the question". Well if they're talking about a swimmer on a basketball site, it must be something. I thought possibly he was rumoured to be on a performance enhancing drugs or the like... No, they link to another site, speculating on the fact that he must be a "douche".

Are you serious? Now let's just say he may be... WHO THE HELL CARES!!!
Honestly, checking my calendar it's 2008, and I am still in awe of the rampant homophobia that still exists. It would be really interesting if hypothetically Lebron James, came out and said he was gay, would people like him any less, would he be any less of a great player? Bottom line, it's that person's business.

Truth be told, I'm a little disappointed in people, I'm a lot disappointed in Dime, and still can't get over how hot of a topic this still is. Let's just stick to basketball.

No comments: