Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Chinese Food.


Toronto has a vibrant Chinese community, where China Town, is China Town. Not sweet and sour chicken balls and the North American infused junk, just the unadulterated pure hardcore Chinese cuisine. As I'm sure many of you can relate, at some point in your lives, you have found your way, (or stumbled your way), into a Chinese restaurant at the end of the night.

In 2005, SLAMOnline linked to this story, which literally had me laughing out loud when I read it. Yao Ming's parents opened their restaurant in Houston some time ago, and here's a great first person account at the restaurant with Yao, Diekembe Mutumbo and Patrick Ewing chowing down. Click on the link for the whole read, but I'll leave you with a couple of quick bites.

Ewing (on the food) "I know Chinese. But what kind of Chinese? Snake? 'Cuz I don't eat snake."

Mutumbo [Sipping a virgin strawberry daiquiri] "I like your restaurant, Yao. It's made for 7-footers and guys like Patrick Ewing, who is really 6'9".

Bon apetit.

No comments: